








So, the Harvard police officer, says to me, in a very thick Boston accent, "You are not from around here, are you?" Oh, I wonder how he figured that out? By the way, I had not found myself in any trouble, I was only enjoying a cup of coffee at Dunkin Donuts. Not surprising, there were three officers enjoying coffee, donuts and the Boston Globe.
As my finance textbook author says, "A nearby penny is worth a distant dollar." It's a good thing, because I seem to be finding a lot of pennies and dimes! I found the Bostonians to be much less careful with their change. If I walk past a popular taxi stand, I can find a lot of spare change, as passengers are quick to enter and exit cabs here. If only they would drop a Benjamin or too!
Went to CVS this morning - between Staples, CVS and the Harvard Coop, I am able to work out my retail therapy needs. Would you believe they sell sunscreen here? In April? For what?? It has turned out to be a beautiful day here and having finished my first round of studying, I do believe, (imagine that phrase with a British accent) that I might take in another walk before the temperature drops. A very busy week of work and rain is in front of me, so I wish to take advantage of both the time and the pleasant weather.
During my two hour walk around Harvard Square and Harvard yard this morning, I found, again, the local people to be most unpleasant. So, I decided that I would bring joy and began finding random acts of kindness. You should have seen the look on the man's face thatI allowed to go ahead me in the check-out line. I don't think people do that here. When he said, "thank you," I quickly replied, "my pleasure" Both he and the clerk looked at me very strangely.
I promised you a comment or two about my Indian dinner. The food turned out to be quite good, but the atmosphere was . . . interesting (my favorite word here). Imagine me at a table with 25 men from all over the world, with a huge (I mean worthy of the Taj Mahal big) Hindu statue poised next to me. The highlight of the evening was the ladies restroom. Now, I will try to tell this delicately, but I cannot miss this story. The doors on the ladies toilet rooms were two way mirrors. I could see out, but they could not see in. The ladies who had not been in the toilet rooms had no idea of this fact. So, as I am in the toilet room doing what one does in such a place, a woman comes to the door and begins primping, straightening and applying lipstick right in front of me in the mirror. Imagine the surprise, when from behind the mirror, I said, "you missed a spot." Ha -- I have to find some humor in this journey.
I am both an oddity and misplaced soul in this present environment. I commented to my friend, Lynn, by e-mail last night that it remains to be a strange place for me. Not to be fully a part (if any a part) of this place, and yet also to be absent from that place which is familiar, but drifting somewhere in between swept in the arms of my Lord. That is really all I have here and I am quickly learning, that is enough~
Attached are some scenes from my daily life ~
Much love, peace, and blessings to you all,
Dee Ann