

Today, I took my 400th page of notes! I have calculated by next week that I will have read 180 or so case studies and read 14 books and I think I have been to about 12 optional lectures that have been offered.
I know I have been out of touch. This has been our heaviest work load week, and I have been busy! We also had 4 extra optional lectures. Speaking of which, Bill George spoke today. Some of you heard him at Willowcreek and may be familiar with his books, Authentic Leadership, True North and Finding Your True North. I have heard Bill speak before and I have read his books, but compared to the focus of so many other courses here, Bill was a breath of fresh air today as he talked about the selection of leaders. He said, "We have begun to select leaders for their charisma, instead of their character; for their style over their substance; and for their image over integrity." Most importantly, he talked about resiliency, and it finally dawned on me that resiliency is the most enduring quality I have worked on and been challenge to achieve while at HBS. This has been a diabolical situation: the best academic experience of my life, while at the same time, the worst living situation of my life. But without the challenge, what would I have learned (well, probably a lot, but my character might not have grown so much!)? Never have I been put in a situation that so challenged the core of who I am, my values and my principles. I never thought I would be placed in a situation that I would say, "you are drunk and I will not remain here and listen to your vulgarity." (A member of my Living Group) But at the same time, I have learned so much about how to stand up for myself and my beliefs-not wear them on my sleeve, by any means, but being prepared to live them out when challenged by unethical or immoral behavior. And more than anything, it has given me appreciation for all the blessings in my life -- for the kind of family I have; for the kind of friends I have; for the community in which I live; and for a job in an organization with vision and mission of impacting people (and I work with great people). Tonight, I realized, that when this is over next week, some of these people will have none of these things to return to, but I will and I am grateful.
This past Sunday, I circled back to Boston to see Paul Revere's house. (See pics) It was built in the late 1600's and was originally restored in 1908. I also went to the cemetery where he and a number of revolutionary heroes are buried -- (why do we visit cemeteries and look at grave sites?). Funny thing here is that when I tell the international's (except for the Aussie who runs the girl's school) that I went to Paul Revere's house, they say, "who is he?" Oh, except for the Brits -- they remember perfectly. I visited other famous buildings of the revolution and it was awe inspiring.
Saturday, I went with 7 guys to the Red Sox game. Another American and I were the only ones who had ever seen a baseball game. It was nearly a four hour game and I had to explain everything that happened -- and 19 runs were scored. Unfortunately, the Sox got whipped by the Rays, but with all those runs, we saw some great hitting, including three homers over the famous "Green Monster" at Fenway. The ballpark and its atmosphere felt like a throwback from the 1940's. Our international guests surely got to see a real slice of Americana.
Friday night, I went to the Boston Pops and they were really awesome. Trevor, you would have loved it!
And that's about all the fun I have had, except, of course, the fun of learning.
I am on the home stretch with a few challenges around me, so please keep praying~
A few more lessons to ponder:
"Leadership is an intense journey into your own soul."
"Fail often in order to succeed sooner."
CEO Jamie Dimon, JP Morgan Chase about buying Bear Stearns: "Buying a house and buying a house on fire is two different things."
I am sure there is more -- but the best I could come up with tonight~
Lots of love~
Dee Ann